Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Oh My Aching Back

It was a week ago today when I could barely muster the strength to get out of bed, and once I was I soon found out that I could not stand upright. I had to stoop over or throw my hips forward, clench my buttocks and walk like a duck. Not a pretty sight. And the pain was intolerable. A few days later, as the pain worsened, I started using a cane. In public, no less.
I have had ongoing back pain most of my life but it was just a pinch, not like the gynormous pain I had. I have also had numerous car accidents and as recent as four years ago, I had a slip and fall accident outside a public building where, once I tripped, I was propelled forward into a door that didn't move. I suffered a broken nose and probably aggravated my back situation further. There was a lawsuit and we settled out of court.

Fast forward to the past week, and as the days went by my situation just got worse. My husband suggested a visit to the chiropractor. Ours lives in the house next to us and his practice is two doors away on the opposite side of our house. We're considered country or rural where we are, and it is quite unusual to find a chiropractor in an area like ours, but he is doing a thriving business and lucky for us he's so close. I have been visiting a chiropractor on and off for over 15 years, but for some dumb reason I never thought to visit one now.

We were lucky to get in Monday. Where we go they utilize three steps: muscle simulation via machine, hand manipulation, and deep muscle massage. All three steps are done by different people, each trained for his or her specific job.

When I was finished, I could walk upright (my hip was out of whack by over an inch which is what caused my problem). However, now I was more sore in the lower back region than before.

That afternoon when I showered I left the hot water beat on my back, then I relaxed in the recliner with an ice pack. After a good night's rest I woke up to find very little pain and I was back to almost normal (for me). I thought to myself "This won't last, it's too good to be true." But I was wrong. It is lasting. I have another visit to the chiropractor tomorrow.

I just wish I had thought about it sooner instead of trying to walk around for a whole week with horrific pain. Some of us just never learn.

7 comments:

Tiredawg said...

I can feel ya Sistah Cheyenne. Ouch. No amount of pain pills can take away back pain. Well, excpet for maybe a morphine drip. Or in your case a back rub from Junior. No offense to your other half or chiroprator.

Ralph said...

It sounds like going to the chiropractor once in a while would be a lot more fun than walking around with a cane. Glad your better.
Ralph

Oscar T. Grouch said...

I am so glad it worked for you.

I have never found anything to help me and I have tried it all.

Rachel said...

Back pain is awful! I'm glad you visited the chiropractor and are feeling better!

Jim said...

You are a Poor Baby!
I hope the chiropractor can help some more this time.
Don't put off going to a regular doctor if the chiropractor doesn't seem to get your back fixed.
..

Cheyenne said...

Thank you all for the well wishes...I am not out of the woods yet and will be seeing the chiropractor until I am. Could be days, could be weeks.

Anonymous said...

At my age...

"Prescription is reality"!