Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A DAY IN THE COUNTRY

On a recent Saturday, my husband took me to a nursery so that I could pick out a tree to plant near our deck. It's a privacy issue. I needed to have a tree in direct line with the neighbor's pool. I had originally planted three Royal Empress trees early this Spring that started out less than half a foot high and were in the dormant stage. One flourished and is now almost four feet high; another has also started sprouting again after I thought it croaked. Forget about the third one as it was a replacement for one that also died and it never made it either.

I still needed to take care of my privacy issue (and believe me, I have plenty of issues, privacy being one of the biggest ones.) So off to the nursery we went on a clear and sunny day. Just look at that sky.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
When we got to the nursery (one that we deal with most often), we found there weren't many trees left and didn't have a large variety to choose from. I had my mind set on a Sugar Maple because I have tried so often to grow them from whips and just have never had success. After wavering for at least a half hour between three different maple varieties, I did finally settle on a Sugar Maple. I left that nursery happier than a pig in doo-doo.

Since that purchase went so well and we had time on our hands and the day was just absolutely beautiful, we decided to just drive around and see what kind of trouble we could get into. But before we did that, we decided to stop for lunch. This particular diner used to reside in another town closer to us and we ate there a time or two. However, it doesn't look the same as it did then. The food was excellent and I am sure we will visit again when we are in the vicinity.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After lunch, we visited with one of my husband's friends that he knew on his delivery route where he last worked. The friend is a landscaper now and also owns a nursery, so he told us the next time we need something we should see him. It's nice to have friends like that.

On our way home, I saw this farm nestled amongst the trees; however, there was so-called progress all around it. Progress that would soon overtake this farm. I don't like that kind of progress.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on the progress thing ..my place used to be i the middle of nowhere years ago...but the urban sprawl is getting close and closer..at one time you would never see much traffic on our road now it's getting busy...time to seel up and move...

Tiredawg said...

AS with change, progress sux.