Monday, February 18, 2008

Daytona 500

Congratulations to Ryan Newman on winning the 50th running of the Daytona 500.

Dale Jr. finished 9th. I was hoping for a better finish, but I am truly satisfied with what he accomplished overall considering what he went through during the entire race.

I watched the free DirecTV HotPass that concentrated solely on his car and team, including the communications between his spotter, his crew chief, and Dale Jr. Yeah, I heard some F-bombs and the S word and I thought it kind of cute that the audio was turned off after the word was said. Kind of like shutting the door after all the horses run out. Hey, I'm a grown-up, I can handle those words.

Listening in on everything can be sort of nerve-wracking because you get to hear all the things that go wrong. Like after the first caution when Dale Jr. said he felt a vibration the likes of which he'd never felt before. And then after another caution when he peeled onto pit lane and he broke his gear shifter knob off the lever, including the threads. And all I could think of was, I thought he left DEI.

Due to my watching HotPass, I really didn't get a grip on what was happening behind Junior for most of the race. I did see what happened after the fact though, but I will say here that I don't think I would want to tune into HotPass on a regular basis. This ole heart can't take much of that bad news.

At any rate, even though he finished 9th, he is 8th in the points, sitting only one point ahead of Robby Gordon. He earned 5 bonus points for leading a lap, and that explains why he is ahead of Robby.

So now all the SpeedWeeks hoopla is over and I can go back to some normalcy in my life. Until next week when we visit the Auto Club 500 in Fontana CA.

7 comments:

TalkGeorge said...

I was there and believe me, Junior was very strong all day. Plus, you won't believe all the new #88 hats and t-shirts. Junior owns FranceCar!

Vroom!

Tiredawg said...

It sure was a sea of green. Didn't see Pocketprotector and Rubberhead coming in and winning it. That came outta left field. June did pretty good. All in all I thought it was a good race all around.

Unknown said...

Great run by Jr.

Rachel said...

My brother in law loves Nascar and since he goes to church in the evenings I taped the last half for him. He has a VCR but doesn't know how to record stuff on it! His wife said they watched up to about the 100th lap, so I ran it back to there and took it to them this morning. Hopefully they are enjoying it tonight!

I'd say 9th place is good considering! I think they are lucky to make it through the race with that speed and all those cars and as close as they are bunched up sometimes. Makes me nervous just watching!!

Cheyenne said...

*** Vroom! ~ I know he was strong all day. And I can believe all the #88 hats and shirts, because I have a bunch already too, and Jr. Nation is very strong and supportive of our driver.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg ~ Ahhhhh...a sea of green. What a wonderful visual that is. Green's my favorite color and then blue and then purple. OK now I know who you mean by PocketProtector.

Cheyenne said...

Rachel ~ I do hope your B-I-L thanked you for the wonderful deed you did for him.
That was very thoughtful of you.