Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm In A State Of Confusion

(Photo courtesy of Hendrick Motorsports)

Just what exactly does Dale Jr. have to do to gain a little respect from the majority of the media? These days he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. When he does good he's everybody's sweetheart; but let him finish ninth in the Daytona 500 and all of a sudden he's in deep trouble. Say what?

And that's what confuses me. How can the whole remainder of the season be judged by one race, and the first one at that? I truly believe a lot of those writers just like to see how many hits they can get on their sites when they write something derogatory about him.

I am going to try and justify that ninth place finish with the fact that it was their first points race, and I think Tony Eury Jr. just got mesmerized there at the end and couldn't make a proper call as to whether Junior should pit or not. At the very last second he told him to stay out. Most of the leaders came in. Had Junior been allowed to come in and get four fresh tires, I think he may have been a factor at the end, too. But we'll never know that. Anyway, I am hoping it was first race jitters. OK, I know they won the Shootout and also the first Duel qualifying race, but those weren't points races. They were fun races with no pressure. OK, I also am aware that the qualifying race was important, but Junior never has qualified well and he can start at the back of a race and still work his way to the front.

What it all comes down to in the end is that this is the first race of the season. The entire team still has a bit of time to grow as a team, a team that gels and comes together as one. They may be lacking that yet. But for heavens' sake let's allow them to do that before criticizing them and writing them off as one reporter (that I know of) has already done. He stated that because of what the team did or didn't do, that they won't even make the Chase, let alone win a race before the Chase. Well, mister, put your money where your mouth is...because you certainly have a big one.

8 comments:

RevJim said...

Cheyenne, you have every right to be upset about what the detracters have written. Dale Jr is one of the best, perhaps the best, at handling a car that is not even what any other would consider 50% good.
Add to that, the #88 is in a development/rebuilding phase, and has some work to do. Taking this into consideration, a ninth place finish is darn good, and is better than what the detracters should have expected.
There are still 25 races to go before the Chase, so these detracters are really jumping the gun, IMO
Granted, there are some members of Junior Nation who have expectations that are higher than any rational justification, and they may be disappointed, or even dejected, and may be expressing it in words.
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will do just fine this year, and I am more than certain he will make the Chase.

Anonymous said...

If Tony Jr. was mesmerized, it's probably because he's not used to being in contention for a win every time they're on the track! They haven't been in that position in a while. :D

The communication problems during the last pit opportunity were unfortunate, but they're getting used to a new team, so they haven't developed that chemistry yet.

Plus, restrictor-plate races are unpredictable. You can be leading for 100 laps, then someone hangs you out to dry and you're twenty cars back. I think a top-10 finish is very respectable.

Anonymous said...

...and as for missing the chase after ONE RACE...whatever. 99.9% of the NASCAR world knows that the Chase isn't decided until the last race before the Chase. We'll see Junior in Victory Lane several times this season, and top-5s and top-10s will be the norm and not the exception. This is going to be a great year!

Tiredawg said...

I would say you are right. I think whatever sells and whatever gets the most hits. I would bet you that the "author" of the trifling trash you are referring to has a buttload of adspace sold. So yes write what the readers DON'T want to read and you will get you more hits. I agree with Stephen too, it don't matter (insert famous four letter word Junior likes to use) about the first bunch of races, only the last few of them.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

Waving HI:

Glad to see Jericho back on, I caught it last week.
Can you tell me what Tony and Busch did to get put on probation?

Cheyenne said...

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments. I know for a fact that Junior will be OK, so I am not worried about him. It's the writers that worry me because they don't know what they're talking about half the time and just blowing smoke out of their rear ends.

Cheyenne said...

Oscar, Jericho gets better every week. It was awesome this week. Can't wait till next week's show.
I answered your question over at your blog.

Cassandra said...

I don't even read stories when I see stupid headlines. I can't even remember the exact headline, but it was something like Terrible finish for Jr at Daytona. I rolled my eyes and kept going. I think true fans of the sport know that 9th place is a good finish.