Thursday, December 08, 2005

More Computer Problems


As if I didn't have enough problems with my blog earlier this week that threw me into a tizzy, I now have another. Last night my monitor darkened. I've never messed with those buttons on the front. The guy that set up my computer four years ago said I didn't need to touch them. So I never did.

Well, something had to be done. At first I panicked but then what else is new with me and panic? So I asked "Jeeves". Then I started playing with those buttons because Jeeves was talking about brightness and contrast.

When I went to brightness it was at 50% ~ and contrast was 100%. I had to put brightness at 100% to bring it to where it was before it went dark.

It's back to normal now, but I am wondering what happens if it ever darkens again. It can't go any higher. A new monitor perhaps?

Sad





3 comments:

Rachel said...

I haven't a clue. I know that computer problems can cause panic! I call my computer guy immediately who calms me down and solves my problem! (Thank God for him!)

Peruby said...

Make sure your monitor cable is securely plugged into the back of your computer. Please make sure you turn both monitor and computer off before attempting this. Has anything been moved?

You could turn everything off and unplug the monitor from the computer and look to see if any pins got bent or if dust got in the socket area.

A lot of end users will move their monitor and stretch it almost out of the computer that it is attached to.

If you have to turn the brightness all the way up to 100% I would say that something is wrong or is "going" bad.

It could be the video card inside the pc itself. Usually I try another monitor on the pc, but that may be the only computer you have in the house. If it is video card, I usually re-seat it, but this requires opening up the computer and I don't think you are up for that.

If you try another monitor and it also is very dark, it is probably the video card. If the new monitor (or borrowed monitor) is fine, then it is probably the original monitor.

This is a long shot, but you could try plugging it into another wall socket or another socket on your power strip. Depending on what you use. Are you having any brown outs anywhere in the house? I doubt that it is electricity related, but we never know.

Another long shot is interference. Have you plugged an electric heater in or a fan close to the monitor? A new lamp?

More than likely it is hardware related, but have you added any hardware (such as a scanner or printer) to your computer or software?

Just some ideas, because this is what I do. :)

Cheyenne said...

Peruby: thanks for the info. Will have to work on it tomorrow. Nothing was changed or moved. Probably a bad monitor.

Rachel: I have no "computer guy."