Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Another Small Step



One of the reasons for not having a tree this year is that a collection of boxes filled with clothing and household items took up the majority of the living room. A lot of those boxes were first filled over a year ago and were then put in the living room so that we could take them somewhere. They.never.made.it.

Last Christmas I moved them into the spare bedroom. And then, over the past summer, I filled more boxes with similar items and piled them in the living room and we were back to square one. I had boxes in the bedroom and in the living room and nowhere to go with them. I thought it wouldn't be long until we found a home for them. It's not like I didn't nag, cajole, or remind a certain someone either. It just never fit into his schedule while he was working. But oh boy...once he was no longer working, there weren't any excuses left as to why we couldn't get rid of them.

Is there an end to all this? You bet there is. Yesterday we were finally able to take a pickup truckload to a local food bank. They give donated items to needy families. I realize I could have had many yard sales and made money, but I have no patience for that type thing. And you don't always get rid of everything, leaving you with items you again have to store somewhere till the next sale.

So we finally made a baby step. The giant steps will come after I get all of the rest of the things together and donated to the same organization. It might take awhile because there is still so much to do. But trust me...it will get done. And we will have a tree next Christmas.

4 comments:

Tiredawg said...

Better to give than to put up with a yard sale and "will you take 15 cents for this" coming from every blue hair that comes.

Cheyenne said...

Tiredawg & Stephen ~ Yup, that is the exact reason for not wanting to sit through one: I hate the 'dickering' and no matter what price you put on, they still want it for less. Arrgghh

Rachel said...

Hoorah for getting rid of the boxes! Sometimes we just have to weed out some things. I have some weeding of my own to do!

The cats will enjoy the tree next year!! It will be a special treat for them. I don't think they'll bother anything, maybe knock off a few bottom ornaments, but that's no biggie!

Cassandra said...

Awesome! It's great to donate items that are not being used. I always think that somewhere, someone could be using this and here I am not using it.
I can't stand garage sales or yard sales. Blah!