
Well folks, looking at the calendar I see that Christmas is just a mere two weeks away and I have no Christmas spirit in me this year.
I am fairly sure there will be no tree and that is mostly due to the kittens and their safety. I just don't want to take that chance. Also, there are a lot of boxes, both full and empty, in the room where the tree always goes. And it doesn't look like those boxes are going anywhere much before the new year.
I have white candles in my windows all year 'round and our dogwood tree in the front yard has a string of white lights all year 'round, so that will have to do for the Christmas decorations outside. Normally we put icicles all around the house plus lights on the shrubbery in front, two spiral trees and two reindeer with white lights. But not this year. My husband's knee is just too painful (yes, the knee replacement of almost two years ago) and I don't want him falling off the ladder.
I also won't be sending out many Christmas cards either. I did last year, although there weren't that many, and I only received a few. It's just not worth it anymore. I think there will be around 3 to 5 going out this year.
Decorations inside? Nope. Sorry, but if you're not in the mood, you're just not in the mood. Now don't get me wrong...I love Christmas just as much as most of you out there, but this year it just doesn't seem right. And every year it gets more and more commercial. People forget the real reason we celebrate. And that is so sad.
My husband and I don't exchange gifts anymore because we have everything; and to be honest with you, if we need or want something during the year we just go ahead and buy it. That leaves my daughter and her boyfriend and those gifts were purchased during the summer. I haven't bought gifts for anyone else in a long time.
So I am about as ready as I'll ever be. And don't for one minute think I am depressed because I'm not. It's just that as one gets older certain things just aren't the same. I am just as happy not stressing out over the season like I did so many years ago when I used to do all those things I don't have to do this year.
So while you are in a frenzy trying to find that perfect gift, having all those relatives visiting and cramping your style, having to visit relatives that a lot of times you'd rather not, all that baking and cooking, decorating inside and outside, wrapping gifts at the last minute...well, just think of me. Stress free. And guess what? After Christmas is over you all have to undo what you just did and I don't have to because I never did it in the first place!
7 comments:
Well first things first, you have given my something, your friendship. Try wrapping that up. Secondly, the one I am missing from Junior is the Gargoyles car(I have found it and have it on layaway, can't quite get wifey to get off the 150.00 though). Dale Sr., most of his Wrangler era stuff I don't have and of course the crash car I don't have. That should about sum it up. LOL Have a gr8 day. I don't blame ya one bit on X-mas. It seems as if X-mas is ONLY for the kids anymore now adays anyaway.
Friendships are the most important thing in life. Well, one of them anyway.
I have the Gargoyles car. I started gathering all his cars around '00 or '01 and have sunk quite a bit into them. Especially his rookie car. Oh, his original Church Bros. car was the most expensive for me. I also have Sr's Wrangler car. Don't have the crash car though as I opted not to get it.
LOL! I have heard so many saying close to the same thing this year. As I was putting up my lights tonight I remembered somebody did tell me "Just remember, you have to take them back down!"
After forty-some Christmas-es, it does get to be a bit much. I imagine one year (soon) I too, will hang a wreath on the door and let it go at that.
I'm going to see A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens again this year. Scrooge is my favorite.
..
This year Mrs. Jim and I will exchange Houston Fine Arts Museum memberships. They are tax deductible gifts!
..
Yup, those wreaths come in handy.
I guess my husband is a little ticked at me for not wanting to have a tree. But he will get over it. I don't see him rushing to decorate the outside.
Jim ~ I would so love to see that too. But getting hubby to one of those is a chore.
Well we are just about with you. No tree is up - maybe next week. No outside decorations - this will be done next week per Rachel's request. No presents bought - we are taking a different approach I'll post about it later. Shopping will have to bve done but I have all next week.
Stress free Holidays - I am all for that.
Ralph
Post a Comment