Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas Is Coming!


Hey.....welcome back, y'all! It's Monday and I am feeling a bit better about the upcoming holidays. Don't get me wrong, I am not all that excited, but it is better.

We went to visit the gravesites yesterday and left our flowers. That was for my parents, grandparents, my husband's mother (whom I never knew), and his first-born son that only lived a few days. (We were both married before.)

And...Ta Da! We also got that infamous Christmas tree, which is now standing naked in the living room. I dragged all the necessary decorations up this morning and I am proud to say it only took four trips. I think normally it should have been at least eight or more trips but I was not in the mood for that.

Thinking back on Christmases past, when I was small my parents used to split up our visitations for the day. We'd open our gifts Christmas morning, have breakfast (or maybe it was breakfast first), and then we'd go to my maternal grandmother. I never knew my grandfather as he passed away when my mother was only 14.

So we'd eat there, open gifts, and then it was off to my paternal grandparents for the remainder of the evening. And yes, more to eat and more gifts to open. So it gave us a very busy day and it usually went fast, but we were treated to good food all day.

As we got older and married with families of our own, we sometimes split our Christmas between our parents. By then the grandparents were all gone. I think I was the only one of us three that devoted the entire day of Christmas to my parents. My ex-husband's parents were usually visited Christmas Eve.

Some of my happiest memories of Christmas are when my entire family gathered at my parents' house. But we no longer have that privilege because, as you know, they are now gone. My sister lives out of state, and my brother has his own familiy get-togethers.

Does that make me unhappy? No. I find happiness in other ways. I have my husband, my daughter and her boyfriend. And my parents in my heart.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad you got the tree up! I can't believe that Christmas is so close at hand! Where did the year go....

Miki said...

Glad you got your tree up! We found a tree yesterday, and now we need to drag it inside and I can go thru the fun of decorating! I hope all of the lights work, otherwise, I will be out and about looking for some, somewhere! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I know I have been delinquent lately in posting!

Cheyenne said...

Rachel & Miki:
Oh yeah, now the fun begins ~ decorating. YeeHaw!

Peruby said...

The lights on the tree will just warm you up inside. It is magic! Don't forget to turn out all your lights except the tree lights and squint your eyes while looking at the tree. I do this every year. I know, my face will probably freeze that way. Cheers!

JUST A MOM said...

We have to make our own happiness sometimes. I remember Christmas,when I was little pretty much like yours. When I started having my own children I said MY children will never leave their presents home and go else where. We now have Christmas at home every year, thankfully we do not have the daughters(5) in-laws yet.So we get to have everyone here with us. Thanks for the visit come again.

Jim said...

Glad you're out from under the weather. That isn't a nice place to be.
My most vivid recollection of Christmas dinner was the first one I can remember. I'll add it to the firsts on my yesterday's blog.
Grandpa told all us kids to get in the woodbox while the adults ate.
He did that on every Christmas while we came there.
Now our generation has the Grandparent role. I know we act strange to the little ones.

Cheyenne said...

Peruby: I squint naturally without my contacts in.

Just A Mom: Thanks a bunch for visiting my blog. Appreciate it. The more the merrier. Makes me feel like I'm not doing this for nothing.

Jim: In the woodbox? Why? Our smaller kids sat at a little table when we ran out of room at the big table.