Friday, December 30, 2005

Funny What Triggers A Memory


Thursday we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast and we didn't have to wait to be seated. Nice. I've never eaten breakfast there, only lunch and dinner. So I had the mother of all breakfasts: eggs, turkey sausage patties, hash browns (the stringy kind, not the patties), melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, and grits with a side of gravy.

The biscuits, gravy and grits are nothing compared to what you get in the South. I had never eaten grits until the late 80's when I went to Florida with my then future husband. He was working and had a load of dog food headed for somewhere south of Orlando. I took the week off so I could go with him. We both worked at the same place so I was allowed to ride along.

Once I got a taste of those biscuits, not to mention falling in love with grits too, I couldn't get enough of either one. I always say I ate my way down and back home too. The food in the South is out of this world. I didn't want to come home. I had lost a lot of weight and was at my skinniest weight ever when we left. I think I put on 5 pounds by the time we got back.

While we were down there, we took in many of the attractions. We went to Disney, Epcot Center, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Cypress Gardens and lots of other places.

Two years later we took my then 16-year-old daughter along and visited the same places. That trip lasted a bit longer because we couldn't find a return load right away. We eventually loaded fresh chicken parts packed in ice headed for New York City. But we had to drop my daughter off before delivering so she could see the boyfriend she was missing so much while on the trip. We still managed to have a good time despite her constant complaining.

I would love to go back down but I don't foresee that in the future so memories will have to suffice for now.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love grits! They are so yummy! I guess I've never had any from the south. If they were any better I couldn't stand it!

I seldom go to Cracker Barrel. It's always busy though. I hate the fact that it's so noisy in there and I can't hear myself think, much less trying to talk to whoever you are eating with.

magz said...

Happy New Year Cheyenne! May it be a great year, and thanks for dropping in! If you're anything like me, you'll get a good night's sleep on New Years Eve... I fear the whole idea of 'party hearty' just doesnt seem to make sense on amatauer night, LOL. There are just so many other ways to celebrate the season, best wishes to you and yours

Jim said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Cheyenne!

Do you make Southern biscuits?
Mrs. Jim makes biscuits Louisiana style. Are those Southern? If not then I probably haven't eaten them either.
Cracker Barrel is ok but doesn't compare with Mrs. Jim's.

Cheyenne said...

Rachel: Yes grits made in the South are the BEST! You have got to try them sometime.

Magz: Yes, we are home and will watch the ball drop and then go to sleep post haste.

Jim: Nope, I don't make my own biscuits. I don't know what 'Louisiana style' is. Cajun?