We have been the "parents" of four rabbits since 1992. They were all females. Thank goodness, because they are more docile than males.
Our little rabbit venture all started when my daughter brought one home from her end-of-the-year agricultural class at vo-tech. Students were asked if they wanted to take it home and she volunteered. Didn't ask Mom first, but it was OK.
I called her Peter J Rabbit despite the fact that she was a she. I have no idea where that came from, but eventually it got shortened to "Pee Jay." I don't remember how old she was when she got sick. She was an "outside" rabbit and since I considered her my daughter's responsibility, she and her then boyfriend took Pee Jay to the vet. He injected meds and sent her home. During the night she passed away. She had pneumonia. I found her the next morning and cried like a baby. I had become quite attached to her because it was me that fed her and me that kept her hutch clean. So much for my daughter's responsibility.
I needed a replacement and my husband came to the rescue when he brought a tiny black bunny home that he had gotten from a co-worker. She was a mixed Dutch rabbit. We named her Shelby (after the Mustang model.) Being new to raising rabbits, we were not aware that females should be spayed. It prolongs their life, as they are "cycling" constantly. And because of that they are prone to cancer.
Shelby looked a lot like Pee Jay except that she had three white splashes on the back of her neck, like a collar.
Shortly after we acquired Shelby, my father decided that my husband needed a rabbit of his own. He said he felt sorry for him. My Dad worked the small animal/poultry building at the Allentown Fair and he found a bunny for sale. It was a white Netherland Dwarf and looked like this one:

Both Shelby and Cobra (aha...there's that Mustang model again) lived outside. However, before Cobra could be put outside, another pen had to be built to accommodate her. Unbeknownst to us, outside rabbits are prone to get sick. And they both did. We lost Cobra after about a year of caring for her, but Shelby was saved by the vet. It was then we decided she would live in the house with us. We got her a dog crate/pen and put her in the living room. She developed cancer at the age of 6-1/2 years because she was not spayed. This time the vet could not save her.
It was then that I decided no more rabbits. However, my brother-in-law had other ideas. He met someone who asked if he knew of anyone who would be interested in a baby bunny. And he immediately thought of me. He brought her to the house while we were both at work and then he called me at work to tell me what he had done. My husband got home before me. Behind the house, under the plum tree, our wheelbarrow had been turned upside down and put over a cardboard soda box that contained the bunny.
This is a photo of a Mini Lop and it is very close to what Jasper looked like.
She had other names too: Sweetie Pea, Munchkin, Jazzy
A lot of people don't understand rabbits. They make wonderful pets if they are cared for correctly. They don't like to be dirty so they constantly groom themselves, much like a cat. They crave affection and it's very rare when they don't want to be bothered. They give much affection in return.
My little Jasper was a real warrior up to the end. She gave so much love that I will never forget her. I promised her I would see her in heaven. And I asked that she be taken care of there by my parents. I know she's in good hands, because they have all crossed The Rainbow Bridge.
12 comments:
I have had rabbits too, they are GR8 pets. So are rats. We have a hairless rat, hamster, guinea pig, parrot,fish, 1 snake, 7 dogs and eight cats. Oh yeah and four turtles. You think you are a sucker for the furry things. A-hem, you stand corrected. LOL LOL LOL Hey it was pushing the "grey" area, but how about Happy??? That deal with the rim was smart as hell. I know down here in street stocks if you take two intake gaskets on put them on together you get a little something somethin. Never would have thought to mess with the whell like that. Gotta admit smart mo-fo.
I read our firend's post about Greyton. I also remember that he lost his Princess Jewel this year. How heartbreaking, I can only hope that the other bunnies help Mr and Mrs P through this hard time. I had rabbits when I was a little one, Collette, pure white bunny that I adopted from nursery shcool, and Peter Rabbit that I adopted from the elementary school that my sister was working at at the time. They were good pets, and if I didn't have dogs that are "hunting" breeds, I might try to introduce one or two into the house, but alas, afraid that instinct would take over when I am not at home...thanks for sharing your stories, they are heartwarming.
Ah, this was a great story Cheyenne. Rabbits are so cute and I have had them before but they were outside. I didn't know all these things about them. Very interesting!
Dawg ~ wow, you have quite the menagerie there. I am looking for a kitten for inside (even though I have all those others outside but they're feral). That will be the extent of my "zoo."
Miki ~ yes, I had tears in my eyes both times I read that his rabbits passed away. I know how loved his bunnies are, as ours were too. It's like losing a child.
Rachel ~ rabbits are just like a dog or cat when you have them inside. They are more affectionate than a cat, though, as a rabbit wants to be petted all the time and will give back 100%.
You know dogs, rabbits, and other pets go to heaven?
I heard this on the radio, Joyce Elliot (?) and I believe it:
Romans 8:19 (King James Version)
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
..
Props to your Mets. Yanks are three(luvs it) games out of their title.
Jim ~ Yes indeedy, I always believed that even when I was a wee small child without the help of the Bible. Where else would they go?
Dawg ~ I am posting about the Mets' division win and am happy as a clam and then some...
how sad. i didn't realize rabbits were prone to cancer. it is just so sad when ever you loose a pet cuz they are like family. so sorry for your loss and your friends.
OMG they are the cutest lil things I've seen in a long time. I love bunnies!
Post a Comment