
When it was raining on a daily basis a few weeks ago, I threw together some make-shift shelters on the deck for the cats so they at least had someplace to go to stay dry. Just two heavy duty cardboard boxes and some old towels for bedding.
After a few days I decided to encase the boxes in garbage bags as they were getting very damp. I also put an old plastic tote out and laid it on its side, again with old bedding inside.
One day last week, after the bags were a bit weather beaten, I found one of the boxes partially covered and the other box had its bag completely gone, nowhere to be found. We're talking the 33-gallon size.
The following day I redid them but I took more care, making them tighter to the box plus I used a whole lot more duct tape.
Imagine my surprise when I looked out one morning and saw only one box with the garbage bag gone and, again, it was nowhere in sight. That made a total of almost four full bags gone.
So by now I'm really scratching my a...er, head. Totally bamboozled. Where the heck did those bags go and who or what did it? It looked like something only a human was capable of doing. I know for a fact that it wasn't the cats. I walked to the side of the house and looked over the side of the deck and at least I found the one box that was missing. It was near the groundhog hole that's in the one window well. A hole I thought had been abandoned.
About an hour later I went out the front door, walked alongside the house, and as I turned the corner there by the box was a groundhog. He dived into the hole.
Let's back up to a few weeks ago when I came out on the deck one morning and found that very same groundhog ripping into a garbage bag full of trash. Well, it wasn't full of trash anymore as it had most of the trash strewn all over the deck. At first I hadn't seen it and once it spied me (while I was standing almost on top of it), away it ran. I have no idea what it was after because we don't throw any food whatsoever into the trash. And if I hadn't seen the groundhog in action, I would have blamed it on the cats. Well...maybe. In the back of my mind I would have held another critter responsible for it.
So, I put two and two together and came up with the fact that this groundhog is garbage bag crazy. Addicted? Who knows.
To make matters worse I would've sworn as I rounded that corner that morning, the groundhog was on its hind feet doing a happy dance thinking he'd pulled one over on me and he was probably trying to figure out just how to get the box down the hole where the garbage bags already were.
What else am I supposed to believe?
12 comments:
You have a trash bag obsessed groundhog on your hands there. Maybe try Trash Bags Anonymous?
I wonder if he is looking for a golf course.(Caddyshack). Maybe you could find Bill Murray to help get that gopher.
That is weird!! I hope they aren't eating the bags or something. Maybe they line their dens to keep the dampness out??
Cute critters they are but they can be a pain, no doubt about it!
Trash Bags Anonymous?? LOL Good one Jane!!!
I am hoping it's the groundhog...otherwise I think I should be very very scared.
I think I know where to get rid of my small plastic bags from the supermarket. Oh, say, 3, 4 at a time. Seriously.
Alien invaders collect trash bags to take back with them. They don't have trash in their lands.
See the movie "Aliens (1968):" "Part of the alien queen was made from trash bags and they used maple syrup to make it appear slimy." http://www.fast-rewind.com/
..
I think that if a groundhog was digging anywhere near my foundation I would supply him with however many plastics bags it takes to suffocate the little varmint.
Abandoned groundhog holes are usually followed by snakes and other vermin.
Sounds like the little critters are addicted to plastic. Do they prefer one brand over another?
Ralph
That is one big groundhog. Ours are little and just called gophers. Good luck in getting rid of it. You might have to get a badger to get it out. But their holes are even bigger.
Jim ~ Trust me, these are not aliens. THOSE I could deal with.
Cliff ~ Ewwww, snakes? I hope not. We don't see toomany of those around these parts. Yes, I am supplying smaller plastic bags and I hope the sucker chokes on them.
Ralph ~ So far he's only taken the el cheapo ones. That's all I put out. He's not getting my 'good' ones.
Oscar ~ A badger? I hope to h*ll I never see one of those around here. They are Naaaaasty.
Post a Comment