Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Don't Need No Stinkin' Food

Why is it that we can put on weight without even thinking about it, but it is so damn hard to take if off? My problem isn't eating fat-laden foods ~ it's sugar-laden foods. And it's taken me a long time to realize that fact.

No, I still don't eat fat-laden foods. Some turn me off real badly. I refuse to eat poultry skin. Ever since I can remember that has been one of the "grossest" things I could ever eat. Right next to spinach (aka seaweed). Oh, and clams or oysters ~ ewwwwwww, slimey!

I have been eating what they call healthy since I was a teenager. But I have fallen off the wagon many times. Too many times as a matter of fact. This last time, once I had made up my mind to behave, I did it before the holidays rather than after them. I knew if I waited it would be that much harder. Not to mention more weight that would have piled on.

My favorite things to eat contain sugar. And if I don't watch it, I have no control because the devil on my shoulder says "Eat it, eat it." He always wins too for the most part. The angel on the other shoulder says "Don't do it, don't do it, it's wrong."

When I say sugar-laden foods I mean pie, cake, cookies, donuts, and other foods with hidden sugar. Donuts don't actually bother me. Unless they're filled with lots of cream (the white stuff, not the pudding). I don't indulge in donuts too often.
Ice cream? I have always tried to choose the low fat or non fat with no sugar added. So that's not a problem either.

Since Thanksgiving my weight has been up and down only because I wasn't really serious, but I was serious enough to keep any large weight gain at bay. Since New Years Day, however, I became very serious. Within a month I had lost around five pounds. Well guess what. Those five pounds found their way back onto my body. Thanks to my husband and his sugar-laden foods that he seems to think are staples of our diet. Give me a break here...I am home alone surrounded by those goodies. What do you think I am going to do. For one, I have to get my willpower back. Once I get a grip on that, I can conquer the damn sugar issue. I just have to talk myself into it.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I feel your pain. I am the same way. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have sweet teeth! Those pounds come on like Dale Jr. trying to win a race, and it goes off like a turtle not in a race! It's so frustrating to say the least!

Tiredawg said...

Don't be mad at me Cheyenne. But I think I am going to Publix and get some cup-cakes. All this talk about food is making me hungery.

Cheyenne said...

RACHEL: Let's hope Dale Jr finds it easier to win a race than we do to take off opounds.

Cheyenne said...

JUST HELP ME: The answer is: you must be ready in your mind, then low fat, low or no sugar, lots of fruits & veggies AND at least 30 mins. exercise per day. (I walk) Most important ~ don't allow it to get boring. That's a huge downfall.

Cheyenne said...

TIREDAWG: You little 'devil dawg' you. You probably can afford to eat all the goodies you want. I can't...damn.