While reading another blog, I was prompted to write about telephones today. That person said, at the very ripe old age of 25, that as far as answering phones where she works she is burned out. So badly that she hates when it rings at home.
Well...
Let's talk about me and the above situation. At the ripe old age of...er...uh...let's not go there. On with the subject.
I could never see me doing customer service work ~ ever. Not in my entire lifetime. I am the worst person to deal with cry baby customers calling about where the hell their stupid freight is. Yeah, that's right, their freight. Like in my last job. At that stage of my life, I had had it up to you-know-where with people like that. I hated telephones with a passion. Still do. Therefore, whenever I would look for a new job, I usually made damn sure no phones were involved other than the normal ordinary phone work. Certainly not being on the phone constantly.
Whenever I hear those two words ~ customer service ~ I envision someone totally opposite of me. For the most part, I am what you would call a "loner." I like to keep to myself, mind my own business, and only chat with people on my time and about my thoughts. Selfish, I know...but that's just me. Don't ever try to bring me into a conversation because I won't add very much to it.
In the past, I have always voiced my opinion on paper. It is the only way I can truly express my thoughts. If I have to talk about something, or am questioned about something, I get tongue-tied and look like a fool. I've always been this way. While I was growing up I was very shy and I still am to a certain degree. Get me angry enough and you will catch my wrath. I have come out of my shell to a certain extent...especially when I am being wronged or someone is on a subject that I think I know more about than they do.
Other people see me as "hard to get along with" or "unapproachable" (as a former co-worker testified at my unemployment hearing.) Well, too bad...
Does anyone know the real me? Doubtful. Why? Because I never let them know me. My father was like that too. And I always admired him for that.
So, when "the man" took a major job away from me in order to force me to answer the phone and do customer service work at my last job, I sucked it up and tried. I really tried. But in the end, it still wasn't good enough. Nothing ever was for him. Still isn't. So after 13 years at that job, they finally "stuck it to me."
Kicked me to the curb. And I had so much knowledge and experience that could have been put to use in other tasks, but they decided I needed to be treated like someone fresh out of high school just to answer those damn pitiful phones.
Well, the truth is he got rid of me because he knew I didn't like him. I am more at peace with myself now than I have ever been. And it took him only a little over a month to "deal" with me. Did he do it on his own? Hell no, he had lots of help. But I won't go into details here today as I have written about those in the past.
No, I have gone on to a better place in my life. He and his cohorts, however, will be dealt with on another level. At another time. Not by me.
4 comments:
It is hard to deal with people at times, especially those who are a pain in the behind and don't care at all to let you have it, whether they are right or wrong. Some people just like to be annoying that way. I was on hold recently to our cable company for 45 minutes. When I finally got a live person I said, "I've been on hold for 45 minutes. I'll bet you get to talk to some real grouchy people don't you?" She assured me she did and I can imagine!! Geesh, it was even hard for me to be nice after that long, but I was.
Especially when you have to work with/for them as a boss.
Other topic; I don't like to talk on phones either. Radios are ok.
..
Maybe just maybe that is what Chad will become, a customer service rep. Oh hell he would just figure a way to Not dial the phone. Ok ya beat me, this ONCE! Good Morn my dear. Hellos to all the Fam.
I was so good at answering the phone in the Army that they kept me at the office while everybody else went with our radar to Colorado for cold weather testing.
It stinks. But a real person is better for customers than a computerized helper.
..
Post a Comment