Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Early Memories


The first eight years of my life were spent in what we called "the country." Neighbors weren't on top of our house, our property was huge with a creek running through, my school only had 2 rooms, we had to travel a good distance for groceries into the "city", and also our relatives lived far away. It seemed they did anyway. I loved it all. I spent many a day in the woods, by the creek, communing with nature. Pure heaven.

My parents rented that property. We did not have a bathtub. Us kids washed in a tin tub, made for that purpose and it was portable. Water came from a well. We had to pump for it. No indoor plumbing. Rather, we did our business in an outhouse. Ah, the good old days.

The village we lived in was called Indianland. No Indians, that's just what it was called. My Dad worked at the Bethlehem Steel plant. He was a machinist. Eventually he decided it was time to move on and buy a house. He also wanted to be closer to his work, and civilization I suppose. But with three kids ages 2-1/2, 8 and 10-1/2 years old, he was also looking out for us in the way of better schools, church etc.

And so it was, one day in October way back when, we moved to our new house.

The new school had a room for each grade with a different teacher for each grade. The old two-room schoolhouse we had attended only had two teachers for eight grades. It was located right up the road a piece, in Cherryville.

Another big change was that we had neighbors with kids our ages and they were within a short walking distance. We could see their houses from our house. One particular family had twin girls the same age as me. We formed a quick friendship and became a threesome all over the neighborhood. But it was not to last long. Shortly after we moved there, one of the twins was killed on the highway that ran in front of the elementary school. I don't remember the circumstances, but I do remember I was so devastated. I had lost a very close friend.

I was always shy, so for me to form such a strong bond at that age was nothing short of a miracle. The twin that died was closer to me than her sister. We were inseparable.

So now when I look back to that particular time of my life, I wonder if that may have formed me as a person as to how I became later in life: I can count on one hand the close friendships I had and have with three fingers left over.

11 comments:

Tiredawg said...

If you want to hold up that third finger, I'm here. I lost a friend when I was in sixth grade. He was catchinbg a football and then he collapsed. Next day we got the news. Funny how we can go through so much crap as children and then see how it effects us later in life.

Miki said...

tHE "EXPERTS" say that your personality is formed by the time you are 7. Maybe that holds true with how you make friends too? Anyway, sorry you lost a good friend at such a young age. I too lost a friend in the 8th grade though. It has affected the way I think about my friends. Friends are precious to me, and almost sacred. I have said it before, the friends I have now and have had forever are what helped me through this ordeal with Scott. The death of a friend has also made me more aware of my 13 year old son, his bike riding and how little care a 13 year old takes while on a bike. THis is the way my friend was killed, hit by a truck on his bike. I tell the story a lot when the kids get on their bikes.

Cassandra said...

Oh, so young to experience such a loss. *dusts off old BA in psych degree* Yes, the death of a friend at such a young age could very well have an effect on your entire life. How could it not? You sound like someone who feels things deeply and I personally think that is a good thing for in this day and age. Many don't address feelings. I lost an ex-boyfriend to suicide at 15 and it still effects me.
I too have very few close friendships. But it doesn't mean either of us are missing out on life. Some people have many friends and some don't. Either way is ok as long as it is what works for you.

Peruby said...

I would think it affects you now and had an effect on you, definitely. One possibility could be that you may have been afraid to form another close friendship for fear of losing them also and feeling that pain all over again. Very tragic.

Do you ever see the other twin?

Cheyenne said...

TIREDAWG ~ Thanks!

Cheyenne said...

MIKI ~ Well, I always was a late bloomer. Mine was formed at 8.

Cheyenne said...

BABS ~ I have very deep feelings about things. I am forever on a soapbox about something or other. But there are very few people that I let get close to me.

Cheyenne said...

PERUBY ~ Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. No, I haven't seen here since high school.

Tiredawg said...

Love that address!!!!!!!! Let them wonder Cheyenne. LOL

Jim said...

I alsmost could say 'ditto,' at least for a lot of that. You bring back memories.
One room school for first eight grades. Four room house (I slept on the front porch--glassed in but not heated) in the country, not much store bought food, etc.

I lost a mid-life college buddy friend of a heart attack, I didn't thing people like me died except in car accidents. That changed me some even if I was older.

A very nice post. Keep it for a part of your profile.

Thanks a lot!
..

Rachel said...

You did grow up in the good old days kind of like I did! Sad and traumatic to lose a close friend at that age. I would imagine it could have effected your whole life.