...till my husband had a heart attack. And the only reason I started was to learn how to inhale so I could try the marijuana someone had given me. Turned out I was too chicken sh*t to smoke them. But I kept smoking regular cigarettes anyway.I would say I smoked for about fifteen years give or take a year or two. And then came that fateful day...the day my husband ended up in the hospital with a heart attack. He was in the hospital for seven days. Seven very long days for me. Obviously he would not be allowed to smoke anymore as that is what the doctors say caused his attack.
So I had those seven days to smoke my brains out before I quit too. My reason for quitting was twofold: 1) I certainly didn't want to be smoking in front of him as he had been a smoker all his life from the age of twelve (I did not want to tempt him), and 2) it just wasn't healthy.
I had my last cigarette when I left to bring him home from the hospital. Cold turkey. And I haven't had one since. Neither has he. It will be seven years in August.
'
7 comments:
You quit cold turkey (after procrastinating a week). Good for you!
I've quit now, for about 29 or 30 years. Good for me!
Once in a while cigarette smoke still smells good. Most of the time it gives me a sore throat.
..
Good for you! glad that you did it. It has added years to your life, and your husband's too!
THanks for stopping by my blog, as I said, I will post now when I get the urge, I can't do it on a daily basis, it burns me out.
1998 I had chest pains. Went to hospital thinking it was stress. Last 2 words I remember hearing was cardiac arrest. 3 minutes later with burn marks on my chest and tubes coming out of me I awoke to "glad you are back with us". Heart stopped and moved to center of chest stopping heart from working. Reason being lung collapsed and that was it. So smoking really does suck and isn't cool. I think living is cool. They cut parts of my lung for biopsies and thank god everything came out good. So smoking isn't very healthy and makes you smell like shizzit!!! Enough from my soapbox. Have a gr8 day.
Good for you Cheyenne! I need to stop smoking. Icky bad habbit. Thanks for the reminder.
Kudo's to you Cheyenne!! Grand thing you did for yourself and your husband. Some folks are not so kind. My SIL smokes (always has)and my brother never has and he has asthma. I'm sure she contributes greatly to his asthma with all her smoking.
Congratulations!
I have never been a smoker, but all my inlaws are and I see how hard it is for them. They have attempted to quit many, many times.
wow that is great. just cold turkety. that is wonderful. i have been trying to quite off and on now for 2 yrs and just can't seem to do it. i guess i am just too weak! congrats to you!
Post a Comment