
Settlement on my parents' house was last September. A lot of loose ends had to be tied up since then. I finally received my inheritance this week. And I don't have to pay taxes on it. That was done before it was split amongst my other two siblings and myself. It's been a long road from way back then to now.
And yes, there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears.
Blood: From all the bumps, cuts, dings and bruises of moving things here and there, not to mention things that had to be fixed. My husband incurred the most because he was the carpenter.
Sweat: Most of the work on the house was done last summer. It was hot and the work was hard. There was a basement, first floor, second floor and an attic. So there was a lot of stair climbing ~ constantly. From the attic, down the stairs to the second floor, down the stairs to the first floor, and out the door to the back porch. That's where we put most of the smaller things so we could sort through them. What nobody wanted either went to charity or got burned. More sweating. I have never sweated that much in my entire life. I had strength I never knew existed. Especially when I moved a mattress down an L-shaped staircase. Everyone else was outside and I didn't have the patience to wait for anyone.
Tears: Shed by all, as this indeed was the final goodbye to two wonderful parents. Mom, dad...we all love you and miss you, and even though the house and contents are "gone," we will never forget it and all the wonderful times we had while we lived there. It was one great ride!
And so I wrap up another chapter in my life. This one started when my Dad passed away in December 2004 and Mom went 2-1/2 months later. They named me executrix in their will and with that the fun was to begin. Did I say fun? I have gone through every emotion known to mankind and probably some that haven't even been discovered yet. If that's possible. But it's now over and done with, and life goes on for the rest of us.
9 comments:
Wifey's Gramma just passed. I feel foe ya. Hope you are allright, and hubby too. God bless.
That was hard for you in many ways, a lot of times. The remembrances you had to tear apart, the physical sweat and pain, the legal do's and don'ts, and ...
We shouldn't put our kids through two years like this, but we may. Mema won't sell her house that she doesn't live in. It's like a security blanket.
We did that with Dad's house (power of attorney) four years ago, he is 96 now and in a nursing home.
..
I feel your relief that it's all over now, and I'm happy for you that it's behind you...but I also feel sad for what the past two years must have been like for you. Of course, memories live on whether the house still stands or is still yours or not...and that's what matters.
TIREDAWG ~ Sorry to hear that about your wife's grandmother. It's never easy when one of our loved ones crosses over. My condolences to you both.
JIM ~ The sad thing is both of them were in a nursing home almost three years on top of everything else.
RUSTY ~ Thanks for the kind words.
There's those deep feelings again! You've been through a lot with this is sounds like and I can't imagine what it must have been like, though you do a great job with your words describing your experience.
I agree with Rusty, the memories will live on within you.
BABS ~ Yup, memories are the greatest. Till I lose my mind. LOL
Yep, as soon as someone said they missed the shot of Esad on TV, I only felt it was my duty to share! :)
Post a Comment