I am very opinionated and will argue a point to the nth degree. I tend to want to get to the bottom of things, so I push the envelope beyond what is expected.
Monday, November 14, 2005
Talk About Being Addle-Brained...
When I had to clean out my parents' house, one of the many things I had to do was call an auction house to sell the majority of the contents. We would have loved to had an on-site auction but there just wasn't enough available parking.
Two men from the auction came and loaded what they thought would sell. Most of the items sold the first day; however, a few items were sold the following week. Therefore, I received two checks, one very large one and one very small one.
I then composed a letter to my two siblings explaining how much money was generated less the auction's percentage, fees, etc. I addressed two envelopes (one for my brother, one for my sister), stamped them, put my return address sticker on each, and put those into a folder along with the letter.
This past Saturday we took the two checks (made out to me) to the post office where there was a copier. I made copies of them to put into each envelope. I concentrated so I would get the right check that I had written into each correct envelope.
When we left there, we went for breakfast at a diner a couple miles down the road. We pulled in, parked, and my husband asked me if he needed to lock the truck. It was then I remembered: I didn't take the checks from the auction out of the copier!
I could have died. Oh My God! How could I be so stupid? I was so worried about who got what check that I forgot to remove what were now my checks!
So, obviously, we needed to get back to the post office in a hurry. And, of course, when you're in a hurry with an emergency to boot, everyone is in your way or is going extra slow.
I figured if the checks were not there I would just call the auction people and have them put a "stop payment" on them. My husband suggested that maybe a good Samaritan found them and turned them in at the counter. I, of course, didn't believe that for one minute and just wanted to throw up.
To make a long story short, the checks were still in the copier. So, yeah, every once in a while I do have some good luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Whew! Close call for sure!!
Man, I was feeling that disaster. Glad it worked out okay, we have all done something similar!
Post a Comment