Friday, March 30, 2007

They Pulled The Plug

What $ircuit $ity did is downright despicable. (Now do you get my title?) My head is still spinning after reading about it in the newspaper.

In case you haven't heard they fired, yes fired, not laid off, 3400 workers of all ages who were considered making too much money. Those workers will be replaced by people earning a much lower wage.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our newspaper highlighted two local male employees in their early 60's who depended upon the health insurance for themselves and their spouses. I ask you...where the hell does a human being find a job equal to what both those gentlemen lost as far as the wage-per-hour rate and the health benefits is concerned? Absolutely nowhere. Not for someone in their early 60's anyway. I suppose maybe the answer to that question is that they now have to depend on two jobs just to equalize what they were receiving at CC.

If you think it's easy replacing a good-paying job with good benefits for someone in their early 60's, please think again. It must be one of the hardest things to accomplish on this earth. And it can be the downfall of many families.

One thing CC did offer is that those workers are able to re-apply for a job but at a much lower wage, and they have to wait ten weeks before doing so. What a freaking joke. And it's not illegal what CC did either. Remember, these employees are "employees at will" and can be fired for any reason as long as that reason isn't illegal. That's another freaking joke in my book.

I must point out here that the newspaper article wavered between them being fired and laid off. There IS a difference. In this state if you are laid off you can collect unemploymenet benefits no questions asked. If you are fired it's another story. You have a 50-50 chance of collecting unemployment. I am assuming that all employees involved will be allowed to collect since they did nothing wrong.

There was also talk about age discrimination. Nope, that won't work either as the range of age was 22 to early 60's. Supposedly, they didn't discriminate at all.

My question here is: Why don't they just close their doors so we can all concentrate on that other store with the yellow sign? Yeah, you know the one:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Tiredawg said...

Whatta bunch of scum bags. Yes I was talking bout D. Dub.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

I don't know what state you are in but those laws suck that allow things like that. That is terrible. And the thing about working two part time jobs is you don't qualify for benefits at either then. Best buy has its issues, but I have never heard of them doing that to employees.

Rachel said...

That is horrible. It doesn't seem like something like this should happen and be allowed to legally. What a sorry state of affairs. Sad indeed for those people and especially the older ones. I never go to CC anyway, but still...

As to your last post, they are currently building a new Starbucks in our town. No, I won't go there either!

Cheyenne said...

Oscar ~ I am in PA. But the majority of states are At Will states. I think CC will go down eventually no matter what they do.

Cheyenne said...

Rachel ~ Sorry indeed. And then to slam it on the front page of the paper yet. Makes you want to just run and hide somewhere, but where?

Tiredawg said...

Hey Lady Cheyenne. I have no heat about Menard. I just was sayin, didn't make it. We ALL know Menard can drive. Others... ???

Jim said...

Hi Cheyenne. Thanks for saying all that. I thought about an article about this but just haven't had time to write anything serious lately.
As far as I'm concerned, CC has closed their doors quite some time ago for me. They never have their advertised specials, at least the ones I want.
This put the lock on it now.
..

Cheyenne said...

Jim ~ I can get pretty riled up when the rights of others are violated, including my own. But I am just one person and there's not much I can do by myself. So I come here and post.