Saturday, November 05, 2005

Continued Saga of The Mail Carrier


We finally got our certified letter. It was brought to the door personally by the postmaster. I asked him what the carrier's problem was. He said he has no problem, that he is one of his better carriers. Supposedly very conscientious. I explained to him how I had changed my routine so that I would be available when he rang my doorbell.

The carrier told the postmaster, after being questioned, that he knocked on my door three times and waited before leaving. I find that very hard to believe. We have a ranch house and I was on the computer just down the hall from the front door. I did not go outside, I did not go into the basement, and I did not take my usual shower. I have no idea what door he thought he was knocking on, but it certainly wasn't mine!

Besides, we do have a doorbell. Normal people use them before they even think about knocking. Right? Thought so. I asked why he didn't use the doorbell. He said he will address that with him.

So the postmaster and I had a nice long chat. All is well with me and the postal system. For now...

And what was in the certified letter? Exactly what I thought was in it. You see, 8-1/2 years ago our house was robbed while we were at work. Apparently it happened right after we left~he was watching us. This is a person who was in our house years prior and became a friend, if you will. When we figured out someone had been in the house earlier that day, we called the state police.

This person was eventually arrested (we weren't the only ones he had robbed), there were court hearings, depositions to give, the whole nine yards. A royal pain in the butt. Not a happy time for us. Or him, as he had also robbed a business. All in the name of drugs. He went to jail, sentenced to 19 years.

Did I mention that when he robbed us he was on parole in Maryland? Well, according to the letter he was granted parole, but he must do that in Maryland until May 2016. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

If he ever comes back here, well all I will tell him is "Say hello to my little friend." Yes, I am a registered gun carrier, thanks to him.

1 comment:

Miki said...

Sorry you had to go through all of that, but just think, if he was never caught! Hopefully he will be a "good boy" and stay his hiney in MD. Anyway, I have had similar run ins with the postoffice, now we have an electronic scan thingy on the mailbox. This is a tracker, that must be scanned when the mailman, regardless of regular mailman or sub,oops, mailcarrier. It isn't a great solution, and is a pain for the mailcarrier, but too bad. When the sears bill dessn't arrive for three months that is a serious problem! I am not a great fan of our postal system, but most of the time now it works, the bills always arrive on time and sometimes the cards and letters too! Take care!