I am very opinionated and will argue a point to the nth degree. I tend to want to get to the bottom of things, so I push the envelope beyond what is expected.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
More Memories Up In Smoke
Last Saturday I spent the entire day at my parents' house. It was a sort of get-together with my brother and sister for one last day at the old homestead. Everything came out of the attic and was put on the back porch to be sorted through later. It was another back-breaking day for me. I hauled the stuff out of the attic by myself down 2 flights of steps. At one point, I overtread my ankle (outside on the lawn) and it cracked like the sound of a twig breaking. It hurts, it's swollen, and hopefully that's all it is ~ I thought I broke it. It's very possible that there is a small bone broken.
This house is located in what we like to call "the country" even though the area is being built up with scads of developments and townhouses etc. But, they are still allowed to burn garbage as long as it is contained. Well, I pushed burning garbage to the limits Saturday. So much thick, black smoke poured out of the firepit. I think the local fire company even paid a visit. I heard the truck, the siren, and saw some vehicles stopping on the road in front of the house, but the house hid the firetruck. So they must have stopped and eventually drove away when they saw the fire I had going.
I was making all kinds of excuses up in my mind in case they questioned why the smoke was nasty black. Hey, I don't live there; I don't know the rules.
My sister took a lot of stuff to Goodwill, a junk man picked up all the metal stuff, the couch and chair will go out in front of our house with a "FREE" sign on it, and whatever is left will go to the local recycle center if they'll have it.
We're getting there...just not fast enough to suit me (or my poor tired body).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment