Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Pack Rats Unlimited


Funny what we save/hang onto over the years. I've been going through a lot of paperwork these past few weeks, and I honestly don't know why I kept most of it. I'm talking about stuff from the '80's. Sheesh! What was I thinking? No wonder I kept running out of space in my file cabinets and had to buy more.

To make matters worse, I hardly ever referred to most of the stuff I saved so out it goes. And once I get a good grip on all this I will be able to keep at it so it doesn't pile up again. And that's just the paperwork. I have been a fanatical collector of various things: Cherished Teddies (although I have stopped collecting them), plates (all but two are in the basement in boxes), Beanie Baby bears (up till June of this year I bought every bear available.) And for awhile I was buying every international bear on eBay. A lot of bucks have gone into that collection.

My largest collection consists of porcelain dolls, and not the cheap ones found in stores around Chirstmas time. These are "designer" dolls by artists that make a living sculpting them. I won't divulge just how many there are but all but about 25 are still in their boxes piled to the ceiling against the wall taking up about one quarter of the room. I have since lost interest in them. They need to be sold, and I will never recoup the money I put into them.

Then there is my Nascar collection. That I will never get rid of and I don't regret buying any of it either. It consists mainly of Dale Earnhardt Jr, Dale Earnhardt Sr, and Bill Elliott and a few other drivers sprinkled in.

But getting back to the title of this blog today, it is the other stuff that is saved for absolutely no reason at all, other than one cannot just throw things out. I think it's a disease. And I must take the bull by the horns, look the other way, and start throwing these things out. Without even thinking about it. Starting tomorrow. Oh yes, I am great at procrastinating!

No comments: