Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This Old House (Built in 1925)


This venture of selling my parents' estate has been quite an ad-venture! It was put on the market in July and once we had a potential buyer the fun began. All on my shoulders. We had to have a township code inspector come and check everything out. This cannot be done until there is a signed contract to sell/buy. Well, it turns out that I didn't like the inspector and I told him so. He found too many things wrong and now they have to be fixed. This means an electrician, plumber and carpenter. Happy day. But wait...the buyer had her own inspector. I have yet to find out what he discovered. And he took 3 times longer for his inspection.

Then, there is the "getting rid of the contents" phase. We left almost everything in the house at the suggestion of my realtor. He said it would sell quicker. Had I known what I am up against now, I would have gotten rid of the contents early on. Big mistake but it's too late. So now it is crunch time. The electrician is scheduled to come out next week; the plumber had a head start last week; and the carpenter is my husband.

I called one auction house and set things up for them to come get what they thought would sell. That is their words, not mine. I would like to have everything go at once with one auctioneer. Of course, an on-site auction would have been perfect ~ no parking, so that was ruled out. The "auction people" are only taking the bigger items consisting of wood etc. They suggested, as did my lawyer, that I donate the remainder. Whoa! Why don't I just start handing it out as the cars go by? Or throwing it at them if they won't take anything?

We have since contacted another auctioneer who may possibly take the remainder (after all the relatives take what they want, which is now an ongoing process). When everything is removed, what is left is called "debris." They have people that do that ~ take it away. Probably for a small fee as is everything else in the good old USA. I think I will ask them to take me with them.



No comments: