Monday, January 16, 2006

Amazing Theft


Here's another one taken from the headlines that read: "2-Ton Moore Sculpture Stolen."

My initial thoughts were:

1) Why would anyone do this in the first place?

2) Where would they go with it?

3) How does someone "fence" such an item like this?

You can't exactly stick in your pocket or glove compartment. Then I thought maybe they plan on melting it down because it's bronze and sell it for scrap metal.

Now, how does one hide a 2-ton sculpture, let alone steal one. That's a real head scratcher. Wouldn't someone at the other end wonder where it came from, or why it was there or how it got there even. I know I would, not knowing all the details.

I could understand the melting part but it's still not easy to cart one of those things around on a flatbed trailer. It is bound to bring attention to it somehow somewhere by someone. And yet no one saw anything. Unless it was done by a magician like the Statue of Liberty.

So I ask again, how the hell did this happen? And I haven't read anything about it since it was stolen.

Steal something small and you get caught...steal something huge and no problem.

Oh, the theft was filmed by security video.

3 comments:

Tiredawg said...

Talk about stealing "rock" .LOL

Jim said...

That is a lot of work for what they get if it is sold for scrap value of 5000 pounds, or $8,800. That is a lot of trouble.
They probably will ransom it for a new Mustang. Sculpture value is about $5.30 million.
You can Google
'2-Ton Moore Sculpture' for the CNN article with a picture.
..

Cheyenne said...

JIM: Yes I Googled it after I posted to see if it was found yet. It happened a month ago today I believe. Still no word as to where it is.