Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Fine Print Will Get You Every Time

After Christmas I decided I needed a digital camera, so I started checking them out online. And with a camera like that, one also needs a photo printer.

After much evaluation of the information I had, I finally settled on Canon products. Like I have said in an earlier post, I never owned a digital camera. Therefore, I wanted something for a novice, easy to use, but I also wanted a lot of bang for my buck.

Once I found what I wanted, I then started looking into the printers. And I figured it would be best if I bought the same brand as the camera. I also wanted a printer that would work alone ~ without the use of a computer.

Upon all my digging around I came across a rebate that Canon offered. There were many combinations available. It just so happened that both my selections fell into the rebate category on the form. I would be able to get $50.00 back.

I printed the form, filled it out with the serial numbers etc., cut the UPC bar codes from each box, gathered both invoices, and addressed an envelope to where the rebate was going. I decided that I needed to make copies of the invoices so I would do that some time today.

AND THEN I READ THE FINE PRINT

"Both products must be purchased at the same place and appear on the same receipt."

Well, there goes my fifty bucks. Is that stupid, or what?

8 comments:

Tiredawg said...

That is bull-shizit!!! Sounds like they are in cahoots with insurance companies.

Miki said...

What? I never hears of that before! I would call the local consumer affairs office in your town, village or state! See what they have to say about that! I would also email the company directly, and tell them that you did all of the research you found their products to be the most superior and now, they are going to mess with you??? You may get results with that one, try it, it wouldn't hurt. Write a letter and an email.

Rachel said...

I agree with Miki, maybe they'll do it with some haggling. Sure hope so anyway. $50 bucks is worth haggling over.

Ralph said...

I've seen that once before. One item was on sale but the other had a higher price than anywhere else. Only think I could figure out is they wanted to make me feel good about getting my own money back. It is a scam.
Ralph

Jim said...

Take them both back, or is it too late? Then buy them someplace else together.
Would serve them right for not letting you know all that s[tuff].
Your Dale Jr. picture is nice too. My grandson has contracts with some Rocket and Texan players.
I hope your supplier has a contract with Dale Jr. Otherwise he might shut her down. I went there but couldn't tell anything.
..

Cheyenne said...

MIKI: I tried to send an e-mail tonight but couldn't get to the page I needed. Will try again later.

Cheyenne said...

RALPH: I got the best price I could find at 2 different places so I guess I should just be happy with that.

Cheyenne said...

JIM: nope, can't take them back. I bought them out of state online.
Don't know how she gets what she does for backgrounds. But I thought the same thing you did. Just a "wait and see" I guess.