Saturday, January 07, 2006

This Is So Not Right


We received our new prescription benefits card and information through my husband's employer (which, by the way, used to be my employer also).

Normally we purchase our prescriptions four times a year and receive three months' worth of meds for the price of two months. That's how it used to work. Last year our prescription provider was the same as the health benefits provider. I guess they felt it was too overwhelming to handle both duties. For some ungodly reason, our prescription provider was changed for this year. And all I can say is, Oh boy, here we go again. I don't know whose decision it was to make the change, but I can tell you I am not very happy with it at all.

First of all, one of the medications that we both take has gone from $50 to $100 each. I wouldn't mind so much if it only affected just one of us, but that is not the case. Now, as a result, we will be paying $800 for the year rather than $400 for just that one prescription. What I cannot understand is the fact that our benefits did not change in any way shape or form. But because one provider charges double what the other one charges, we are at their mercy and must pay it. Some of the other pills are different in price also.

I e-mailed the new provider stating that if our benefits didn't change, why should we have to pay more for that one medication. They have yet to get back to me. Between the two of us we take 12 meds. I am thinking we are both going to have to re-evaluate this situation with both our doctors. This cannot go on.

I read in the paper daily about the horrors of the new Medicare Part D prescription plan and I just want to vomit. I dread the day we have to tackle that! Why can't this country get anything right when it comes to the health of its people? What the hell are we going to do when my husband no longer works and is no longer covered by an employer's plan? Actually the way things are going, it doesn't matter who covers you because everything is just getting so out of hand. It's almost as if the medical profession and the pill makers are holding the people of this country hostage. And it stinks.

And to make matters worse, if the cost of our medications are over $250 each time (and they certainly will be), they will have to contact me to make sure it is me ordering them with the check card they have on file. The last time that happened to me another prescription provider said they tried contacting me via phone. I suppose they only tried once because the pills never arrived and after awhile I called them questioning where the pills were. They had my e-mail address and my mailing address, but I guess they didn't think that far. After all, that was too easy.


9 comments:

Rachel said...

Health care is very painful! I cannot imagine NOT having it. I have to pay $330 a month for my BC/BS personal plan and I have a $2400 deductible. It's horrible, horrible, horrible. Anytime I could get another letter saying they are going up again. They certainly need to do something about the Health care issue.

shadow said...

I caught you on tiredawgs blog. It is awsome isn't it? I'm glad to find another JR. fan. I respect some of the young guns but have a blog that I can yell into that keeps me from getting banned at www.thatsracing.com .Come sign in and tell the world you like JR and some will welcome you and some won't. Ignore the nay sayers. Health care in this country is such a competetor with big oil it's the if you want it i sell it to you at my price. We just changed to another carrier and at least i'm in good health.I love Penn State and hope to see the Steelers in the superbowl here in motown. I'm at notfixedyet10@earthlink.net if you want to email.

Uncle Buck said...

We're a handicapped couple that just tag teams the stuff we do around the house. 12 cats keep us hopping and keeps me mobile. She's got some cerebral palsy and I'm full of osteoarthritis and severly limited. I hope your hubby gets what he needs. I'm argueing with my sugeon to replace stuff and he's conservative. I worked on cars since I was 5 yrs old and if it's broke you replace it. Wife is from McKees Rocks outside of P'burgh. She's here for her job and I've been here all my life but we may move after she retires.Some of the family is here outside of motown so we enjoy that. Take care.

Ralph said...

You are so right about health care. It is amazing the cost of get the insurancce and then even with good coverage paying for the services and medications. Many people are not going to be able to retire just for that very reason.
Ralph

Jim said...

Hi Cheyenne

That is just plain awful! I know the medicine companies had their wallets open to Congress when they passed this new Medicare bill too.
I just dread the day when my former employer cuts medicine--could be all medical--coverage from our retirement health plan.
I could get going on this. After the Medicare medicine coverage took effect my mother-in-law's copayment went way up.
My sister and I corresponded about the terrible time she had getting my dad signed up for the new Medicare benefits. I have a half prepared blog using our correspondence.
Hang in there.
..

Clance' McClannahan said...

YEAH!! New NASCAR FANS Blog Buddies that have intelligent views on other things too!! Nice to find you.

Cheyenne said...

RACHEL: Ouch! That's a lot of money to dish out.

Cheyenne said...

RALPH: Retire? My husband has to work so we have coverage. The dang company he works for left me go over 7 months ago, or I would have my own coverage and would have been able to cover him if he wanted to retire.

Miki said...

Thank kGod for the healthcare that we have. My husband is now and has been taking THALOMOID an oral chemotherapy drug. The initial perscription was a nightmare to get and then a nightmare to pay for! We have a mail away service as a part of his benifits and it helped with the copay. The perscription without coverage would have cost: over $4000. With coverage at a local pharmacy: $751.59. Mail away: $35. When we mail it away we have to overnight it, appx:$15, and send a check for an additional $15 to have it overnighted back. The med must have an authorization number on the perscription and have a letter of medical necessity with it when we mail it to the perscription company. THe authorization # is a regulation of the actual manufacturer, the med was used in the 50's and the 60's as a tranquilizer and was given to pregnant women, causing great and horrific birthdefects, that is why the red tape, but it works well as a chemo drug, and guess what? If you need it you pay!