Monday, January 30, 2006

Newspaper Carrier Has A Problem

My newspaper carrier is currently playing games with me. Why, I don't know. I have never seen him/her. The only thing I can think of is that we don't give him/her a monetary gift at Christmas. I never started that and I don't intend to do so with anyone in the future.

The paper is delivered very early in the morning via the carrier's personal vehicle. Our plastic paper sleeve, where the paper is to be put, used to be across the street. And as I have said in the past, the state road in front of our house is like the Daytona 500 at times (without restrictor plates I might add). So we moved the sleeve to our side of the street and put it at the end of the driveway. We are not the only home to have it on this side of the street in this neighborhood. So that should not present a problem to the carrier either.

When it rains, our paper is rarely put in a plastic bag. After that happened several times, I called the office and complained. I have had to call them about this issue three times in the past couple of weeks. Have you ever tried to read a sopping wet newspaper? It ain't easy. The best part is, sometimes it is in a plastic bag, but there isn't a raindrop in sight. Ever. The last time I called they said they would mark that in my file and let the carrier know that the paper is to be put into a plastic bag when it rains. And they would tell the manager. Obviously the carrier was warned. Because now all sorts of things are happenening.

One day last week we received half a paper. There were at least 8 sections and we received only 4. I know it was deliberate. If I am the one delivering papers, I think I would be able to tell if parts were missing just by the look and feel of the paper for that day. I called and complained again about that.

Sunday we didn't receive the majority of our sales supplements. I know for a fact that we didn't get Kmart, Sears, Kohls or Target. Those four are always in with our Sunday paper. So now I am really getting pissed off.

I told the people at the paper that I am going to stand at the end of my driveway with a whip. My husband usually brings the paper in before he leaves for work. That is somewhere around 6:00 am and the paper probably is delivered a little before that time. So you know when it is raining it doesn't take much to saturate it.

Granted, every time I call and complain they credit me with another day added onto my prepaid subscription. I haven't called about Sunday's mishap; I really am getting a bit tired of this chicanery. All I want is to get what I paid for. A dry newspaper with all its parts. Is that asking too much?

6 comments:

Jim said...

Our carrier has a local boss. We get him/her involved with the problem instead of the paper office downtown.
The last we had a problem--I'll soon relate--he came to the door personally.
The problem got fixed right, fast.
The whip thing could work too.
..

Jim said...

I used the envelope she left for a Christmas tip to mail a payment elsewhere. I don't tip paper or mail carriers.
If it were a kid making spending money I might. My daughter carried the paper and they pay enough here without tipping.
..

Cassandra said...

Yes, I think Elliott will be great on Trackpass. He's always in a good mood and such a comedian. Plus, he's adorable!

Ugh...newspaper carriers... I live in a 3rd floor apartment and they still try to sign me up for home delivery. I've tried it. Newspapers end up in trees or a neighbor will steal it, etc. I wish they would put the things in mailboxes or something like that instead, but I guess they can't legally. Good luck to you on that!

Tiredawg said...

What do you expect for 6.15 an hour average. LOL

Miki said...

We don't have the paper delivered, it may be nice ot have it in the driveway(that is haow they doe it here) but, it isn't worth the aggrivation! We had the paper delivered a few times or attempted to have it done, no way any longer! Nothing seems to be right when that happens. I would call someone who is directly supervising this person, as Jim suggested, and to that person, I would threaten to cut off delivery with a full refund of everything, including the days that you are being credited for, especially since you pre pay!

Rachel said...

I have to say that I cannot complain about our carrier. The paper is in a bag when it's rainy (at least 99% of the time) and it's always in the box around the same time every day!

That would be annoying to say the least! Hopefully your problem will get better and you won't have to resort to the whip!